It’s that time of the year when players who did not receive contracts in free agency are signed to professional tryout contracts. These do not guarantee that a player will receive a contract, but they allow the player to earn one. However, teams never sign more than three or four at a time. 11 professional tryout contracts signed in one day is almost unheard of. The reason surrounding it is simple: the Arizona Coyotes will play three games in one day on two continents. They need roughly 60 players in the split squads they send to each game.
Who Was Signed by the Coyotes?
The Coyotes signed 11 players to professional tryout contracts; among those were veteran forward Ryan Dzingel and former Vancouver Canucks first-round draft selection Olli Juolevi.
The full list can be found on the Arizona Coyotes Public Relations social media.
Other Important Notes
Ryan Dzingel was an Arizona Coyote in the 2021-22 season, scoring four goals and three assists for seven points in 26 games. The 31-year-old forward recently spent his 2022-23 season in the American Hockey League after being unable to get an NHL roster spot with the Carolina Hurricanes. Throughout Dzingel’s career, he’s played for the Ottawa Senators, Columbus Blue Jackets, Carolina Hurricanes, Arizona Coyotes, and the San Jose Sharks. Throughout Dzingel’s NHL tenure, he’s scored 87 goals and 101 assists for 188 points in 404 NHL games.
Olli Juolevi was drafted fifth overall by the Vancouver Canucks in 2016. Since then, he’s struggled to find his footing in the NHL. Juolevi was traded to the Florida Panthers and then found himself being claimed on waivers by the Detroit Red Wings. Juolevi has played 41 NHL games, where he’s scored two goals and one assist for three points.
The Chirpin Yotes Podcast Pre-Preseason Fireside Chat – The Chirpin Yotes Podcast
- The Chirpin Yotes Podcast Pre-Preseason Fireside Chat
- The Chirpin Yotes Podcast Ep. 65 Connor Green of Inisde the Rink Joins Us, Jan Jenik, Reverse Retros Here to Stay?
- The Chirpin Yotes Podcast Ep. 54: Part of Inside the Rink, NHL History Made, Should NHL do a Play-In?, Listener Q's
- The Chirpin Yotes Podcast Ep. 53 Keller for Masterson, Cooley at the Frozen Four, Coyotes Strike Back
- The Chirpin Yotes Podcast Ep. 52: Phoenix Sues Tempe, Josh Doan in Tucson, The Fanatics Deal